Saturday, March 28, 2020

Turbulence


On March 18, 2020 there was a 5.7 earthquake in Magna, Utah. We live far enough from the epicenter that it probably felt more like a 2.something earthquake to my family. When the earthquake occurred my second son thought that his older brother was shaking his bed to wake him up. My daughter thought that same older brother must have been stomping or shaking something in the other room. The sound of my closet doors shaking is the sound that I remember most.

No damage occurred to our house, but there was definitely damage to various buildings closer to the epicenter. So far I've not heard of any injuries. I'm thankful for that. I did take the picture that hangs over the head of my bed down till I can safely mount it in a way that won't fall on my head in another quake.

My oldest son said that the earthquake felt like turbulence on a roller coaster ride. I recently rode on an airplane and experienced some turbulence so this got me thinking. . .

What if we were flying on an airplane and Jesus were our captain? What might he say to us in March 2020 as we experience the turbulence of a pandemic accompanied by earthquakes and uncertainty all around?

Maybe it would be something like this:

This is your Captain speaking. As you can feel, we are experiencing some turbulence, and it will continue for a little while. Our plane is under My control, and we'll continue safely on our journey. Keep your seat belts on, listen to instructions given to you, "Be still and know that I am God." Thank you for flying through mortality with Me.

Life has proved to be an interesting adventure lately. I'm going to trust My Captain and keep hanging on for the ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment